Wednesday, November 14, 2012

That's Not What MY Bible Says


I usually don't advocate censorship in any form, nor do I see very much that I find offensive enough to raise a fuss about.  In fact, I am often amused by those who are so offended by something on the Internet that they are motivated to loudly demand its removal.  Most of the time when I view something that has been considered offensive, I have to confess that I usually can't figure out what the big deal is.  And believe me, if you knew who was writing this, that statement would carry a lot of weight.  I am a person who has very definite and passionate opinions about what is or is not offensive!

For the most part, I tend to avoid these kind of debates because I feel it is a waste of time and breath to argue with idiots who refuse to listen to reason no matter how much evidence you can produce to show them they are wrong.  But that has all changed for me now.  I was online recently, just innocently browsing through You Tube, when I came across a video that stopped me in my tracks.  It was a music video for a song called The Bible Says, By Donnie Davies.  (See Video Below). Sounds harmless enough, right?  I mean, what's the worst that you could hear in this song?  Surely no more than a few over-zealous rantings from another religious nut case, which are easy to ignore and certainly nothing new to most of us.

So, just for kicks, I decided to watch it for myself.  It turned out to be a song (or a parody of a song) denouncing homosexuals and homosexuality, in which the lyrics state that "God Hates Fags."  Of course, this kind of offensive, hateful garbage is nothing new to us gay folks; we have been hearing it for so long that we've pretty much learned to tune it out and chalk it up to ignorance.  I don't usually get offended by the use of insulting words; after all, they are only words.  Unless they are clearly and deliberately hateful as this was.

Before I get into my personal commentary on this particular video, I have to say that I read several of the user comments accompanying it.  Most of them said that it was meant as a joke, and should not be taken seriously.  But there were also a great many others who found it extremely offensive.  After checking out the website for his organization, which he calls Love God's Way, I definitely fall into the latter category.  The site states that Davies is a reformed ex-gay that has been healed of his homosexual desires, and that he is now on a mission to save everyone from these deviant sexual behaviors.  To me, devoting an entire website to this kind of hatred is no joke; if it was meant to be one, the joke has been carried too far.

As far I'm concerned, whether this was serious or meant as a joke is irrelevant.  Either way, it is in extremely poor taste and I am not amused!  I have to say that the word offended doesn't even begin to cover my reaction!  This is one of the most appalling things that I have ever had the misfortune to witness.  As a gay man who considers himself a Christian, this absolutely sickens me!  It is nothing more than a blatant misuse and abuse of God's word.

This kind of nonsense is the exact reason that I don't put any stock in organized religion.  I simply refuse to tolerate the outrageous level of hypocrisy present in most churches.  Not even to mention the verbal and emotional abuse that many gay people like me are likely to suffer at the hands of people who claim to be loving, God fearing Christians.  I have just seen so much un-Godly activity going on in so many of the churches that I have been to, that my attitude toward organized religion has been irreversibly soured.

Two things: first of all, God does not hate, He loves!  To associate His name with any form of hatred is the height of blasphemy!  God is never the cause of pain or hate.  He heals and restores, and He has commanded us to love one another and not be judgmental. And please notice that I used the word commanded, not the word requested!  This is obviously something this "devoted Christian" has forgotten...if he ever knew it in the first place, that is.  Secondly, I happen to believe that this kind of Spiritual bullying is not acceptable and should never be tolerated under any circumstances.  Everyone should be welcomed to enter God's house without fear of being judged, and without being made to feel uncomfortable.  In my eyes, there is absolutely no justification for excluding any group of people from having the freedom to worship as they choose.

To conclude, it is painfully clear to me that this poor soul wouldn't know God if Jesus himself walked up in human form and slapped him across the face!  If he did, he would realize that The Lord weeps for him in his blindness and ignorance!  I hope he receives mercy on judgment day...he is definitely going to need it!


No comments:

Post a Comment