Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Speculation On The Forthcoming Album By Metallica

Author's Note: The following article was originally written in 2008, just a few weeks prior to the release of Metallica's "Death Magnetic" Album

* * * * *

To be honest, I'm not really sure that this is a subject I even want to speculate on.  I have always been a huge fan of Metallica's early work, but I have to confess that I have been sorely disappointed by all of their more recent releases.  In fact, my feelings on this matter are so strong, that after hearing the songs which were released as singles from these records, I have emphatically refused to buy any of their albums that came after their 1991 self-titled CD, often referred to as “The Black Album.”  Yes, I am one of those old-school metal-heads who feels that the real Metallica has not made a record since their 1988 album ...And Justice For All.

Being a musician myself, I understand the artist's need for growth; artists must grow and change to stretch their creativity.  However, I do feel that if the change is too drastic, then it begins to feel fake.  This is what happened to Metallica.  The musical style that was embraced by the band on their Load album, as well as its successor, the redundantly titled Reload, was just too much of a curve ball for many fans to accept.

The songs on these records were well written and well performed, so the quality of the music is not what I took issue with.  These songs sounded like a completely different band; the music just wasn't Metallica.  I felt that they were trying to be something they weren't just so they could appeal to a wider audience.  I felt that they cheated their loyal fans by doing this, because there was still a lot of unexplored territory and potential for artistic growth within the framework of their former style, and they took the easy way out by making more accessible music that appealed to those who would jump on the bandwagon of any artist who happened to be hot at the moment.

The band's next release did very little to help matters.  The album, 1998's Garage, Inc., was a collection of cover material.  While the guys did return to their metal roots on some of the songs, playing tunes by Black Sabbath and Mercyful Fate, there were also some very odd song choices made.  To me, this band just sounds completely out of their element when covering tracks by the likes of Bob Seger and Queen!

Needless to say, this album was another letdown for me; so you can imagine how stoked I was when in 2003, I heard that Metallica was planning a new release, and that said album would be a return to the old days.  I waited eagerly for the release date, and when it came, I dropped by my local record store to preview the album before buying.  I have to say, St. Anger was not a complete disappointment, as it was heavier than the previous records had been, and some of it was actually tolerable.  But again, I just felt like they had missed the mark.  This album sounded to me like an attempt at the more modern metal sound that was getting big at the time; lots of dropped-tunings, very heavy on the bass, and no guitar solos.  I was crushed.

While I am interested in seeing what the next CD sounds like, I'm sure you can understand that after so many letdowns, I am a bit wary; I don't want to raise my hopes again, only to see them dashed in the end.  I know that the talk about this album is that it will be a return to Metallica's former glory.  I very much hope that this will be the case, but I have heard that song before, and I will not hold my breath to see it happen this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment