Sunday, November 18, 2012

CD Review: The Final Frontier, By Iron Maiden



If you have read any of my past music reviews, you know that I have a fairly broad taste in music; I embrace many styles and genres with hard rock and heavy metal being a particular favorite.  Having been a hardcore rock fan since my teens, I am always excited when one of my favorite bands release a new recording.  Even after all these years I still rush to the record store and try to be the first in line to grab the newest efforts by the metal bands I love.  I guess I will forever be a teenager in that regard.

When it comes to finding great metal, the legendary Iron Maiden has consistently managed to stay in my list of the top ten metal bands.  They are one of the bands whose music I never hesitate to purchase, because I know I will like more of their songs than I dislike.  Through the years, they have released some albums that I have liked better than others, but there has never been one that I considered bad enough that it could not be listened to.  Their music has long been known for intricate melodies, meticulously strung into grand, sweeping arrangements.  Their lyrics are filled with imagination, telling stories that you can easily visualize in your head as you listen.

Unfortunately, their latest effort, The Final Frontier, was a huge letdown for me.  I would definitely categorize it as one of their albums that I like less than the others.  It isn't necessarily horrible, but it isn't all that great, either!  It definitely falls short when placed up against their classics.  The sound quality and production are top notch, as always, and there are several good moments on it, but a majority of the record is just bland and boring!

First of all, the record is too long to listen to in a single sitting; it contains ten songs, and clocks in at a whopping seventy-six minutes.  On past albums, they could easily improvise with enough imagination to hold the listener's interest through one of their trademark ten minute arrangements, but that just doesn't seem to be the case here.  The melodies on this record just seem to ramble along without any clear or logical structure, and they are so repetitive that you may find yourself nodding off midway through the song.  Listening to this gave me the impression that the band had just run out of ideas, and had to resort to recycling many of their past riffs.

Also gone is the wonderful lyrical imagery usually present in Iron Maiden songs.  The lyrics, just like most of the melodies, felt completely uninspired to me.  This is particularly true on many of the longer numbers.  They just seem to rattle verse after verse without any clear, strong choruses!  The singing is strong, as Bruce Dickinson's voice has always been top notch, but again, there is just not much in what he is singing to spark your interest.

There are a couple of moments of the old Maiden brilliance on the record to me; tracks seven and eight, titled Starblind and The Talisman respectively, are both excellent songs that are a bit closer to the band's glory days.  Aside from those, the rest of the record just falls flat in my opinion.  As much as it saddens me to say it, this is the first of Iron Maiden's albums to disappoint me, but I guess every great band is allowed to have at least one dud in their album catalog.  Sorry to trash the album after all the work you put into this one guys, but I gotta call it as I see it...better luck next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment