Saturday, November 17, 2012

CD Review: The Song Remains Not The Same, By Black Label Society


I have to start this review by saying that this is one of those albums that you really have to hear for yourself to decide if it is good or not.  In fact, when I first heard it, I wasn't even sure that I wanted to write a review of it because I felt it would be too difficult to accurately describe it!  This is a very odd record for a band like Black Label Society to put out.

Those of you who are familiar with the music of Black Label Society know that the band is one of the loudest and heaviest rock bands in existence.  Their sound is built on Zakk Wylde's throaty, growling vocals, and his wall of massive, bombastic, earth-shaking guitars...both of which possess about as much subtlety as a Louisville Slugger to the base of the skull!

On this CD, all of that changes.  If you do purchase this CD, be prepared for one hell of a curve ball!  The Song Remains Not The Same is a collection of (mostly) acoustic versions of four of the songs from the band's 2010 release The Order Of The Black, with a few outtakes and other assorted odds and ends thrown into the mix for good measure.

Maybe this is just my opinion, but I think this record is just too far "out of character" for this band.  It just didn't sound quite right to my ears to hear this band go unplugged.  Don't get me wrong, listening to this album is not entirely unpleasant; the record isn't necessarily bad, but for me, it was simply too different to be counted among their best work.  I listened to it several times, each time hoping that it would grow on me, but no such luck!

On the good side, the instrumentation is beautiful.  Zakk does some exceptional work on the guitar, and some really great piano playing as well.  However, I think the biggest downfall of this record is the vocals.  Zakk's rough and gritty style of singing is simply not suited for acoustic music or ballads.  In addition, he has always had a grunge-like moan in his voice, very similar to that of Alice In Chains singer Layne Staley.  When he is singing heavy rock, he can pull it off, because the guitars and the overall volume of the music has a tendency to cover that up a bit.  But here, the acoustic instrumentation makes that "moan" in his voice much more pronounced; that became annoying to me after the first few songs!

I know that everyone has different tastes, so in the end, you will have to listen to this and judge for yourself.  In my opinion, though, this was only an average album.  It wasn't completely awful; there were several things that I did enjoy about it, but it just isn't a good representation of what Black Label Society is all about.  If you are new to their music, I would definitely recommend starting with something else.  I would rate this one at about three out of five stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment