Saturday, November 3, 2012

Confessions Of A King's X Fan

If you are a fan of progressive, melodic rock with deep soulful vocals, then I would highly recommend that you check out the Texas rock trio King's X.  They have been churning out great music for more than twenty years, and yet they have been shamefully overlooked and under appreciated by most in the music world.  Even after so many years in the music business, and in spite of the fiercely loyal audience they have built for themselves, mainstream success has remained just beyond their reach.  In my opinion, this is a grievous injustice which demands to be rectified!

I first became acquainted with this band in 1989, after seeing the video for their song Over My Head on MTV.  Looking back, I'm surprised I was able to catch it; just like radio, MTV rarely bothered to play anything by King's X.  Over the next couple of years, I heard a few of their other songs that I also dug quite a bit.  Although I liked the tunes that I had heard, I still remained only a casual fan.  It wasn't until about 1992 that my now twenty-one year love affair with this great band truly got its start.  It was in that year that I first saw them in concert.  I was in college at the time, and a good friend of mine asked me to go with him to one of their shows.  He'd gotten stuck with an extra ticket because one of his other friends had canceled on him.  I was hesitant at first, since I had only heard a handful of the band's songs.  After thinking it over, though, I figured that I had nothing to lose since it was a free ticket, so I took him up on it.



That evening was one that I will always remember.  I was impressed with the band from the moment that they started to play.  They had a completely original sound; no other band I had ever heard sounded like they did.  Their sound was massive and intense.  I couldn't believe that a trio could generate such a large sound.  Up until that point, I had never liked a group who made use of dropped tunings in their music.  I had always felt that tuning low just made everything sound like mush, but they created great melodies that came through even when they were detuned.  As the show continued, it became more obvious to me that these guys were truly seasoned musicians who had been playing together for a very long time.  They not only played well, but they played well together too!  They were one of the tightest bands I have ever seen!  During quite a few of the songs, they added long improvised sections.  As they played, it almost seemed that they could read each other's minds.  Each of them seemed to easily anticipate the other's next musical idea, and was able to complement it perfectly.

The thing that really got to me the most was the quality of their singing.  That's what pushed me over the line from casual fan to addicted fanatic.  Their lush vocal harmonies were not only exquisitely beautiful and filled with passionate emotion, but they were flawlessly executed.  This is a true rarity in heavy metal and rock music today.  They were truly good entertainers on stage as well.  It was very clear that they were having a blast up there doing what they do.  That enthusiasm gives them the ability to draw the audience in and make them feel like they are truly participating in the show.  There were several numbers in which they encouraged the audience to sing along.  Sometimes the audience would sing the background vocal parts, while the band members sang the lead vocal over them.  Other times they just played the music while letting the audience do all of the singing.




This was indeed one of the best concerts that I have ever attended!  They made such an impression on me, in fact, that I went out the very next day and bought every CD that they had released up to that point.  Not only that, but those compact discs did not leave my changer for the next two months!  I have seen every show that they have played in my area since then, and I look forward to each new CD with eager anticipation!




To sum up, this band is definitely one of the best kept secrets in the music world.  Returning fans are never disappointed, and new fans are in for a real treat enjoying their first King's X experience!  In fact, many of my own friends can attest to the statements I have made here, having been converted by me over the years!  I would definitely recommend that you go to see them if you ever have the chance.  I can guarantee that you will not regret the decision!


No comments:

Post a Comment