Sunday, October 7, 2012

CD Review: Panic Of Girls, By Blondie



Panic Of Girls is the third full-length studio album of new material that Blondie has released since reuniting in 1999.  I just received my copy in the mail yesterday, and I have already listened to the entire album three times!  Released on July 12, 2011, Panic Of Girls is far and away the best of the "new" Blondie records.  All of the songs sound fresh and modern, yet they are unmistakably Blondie.  In fact, I think that this record is the closest that they have come to their classic sound since regrouping!

I loved the classic Blondie during their original run, so I was very excited when the band decided to take a stab at making some new music.  When No Exit was released in 1999, I was eager to hear what they had come up with.  When I finally received my copy, I was quick to unwrap it and plunk it into my CD changer!  Upon first hearing, I was disappointed.  While the record was good, it was a bit too different for me at first!  Although I love it a lot now, it took quite a while for the new music to grow on me!  I basically held the very same opinion of their next effort, 2004s The Curse Of Blondie.  Again, the record was good, but it was a huge curve-ball to fans who had been used to old-school Blondie.

With Panic Of Girls, they have finally managed to strike the perfect balance between old and new.  The record manages to explore new territory and sound modern, while still retaining just the right amount of the classic Blondie sound that made the band great in the first place!  From beginning to end, this one had me bouncing in my seat and singing along with a huge smile on my face!  There really isn't a bad song to be found anywhere on this record.  Every one is good; there are just some that I like more than others!  Among my top favorites here are: What I Heard, Girlie Girlie, and the album's first radio single and video, Mother.

As is usually the case with Blondie records, the songs on this album cover a wide variety of musical styles.  There are straight-ahead rockers, keyboard-driven dance music, and even several songs that are reggae influenced!  They also give the record a worldly quality with a bit of Latin flavor on the tune Wipe Off My Sweat, and then they slow things down a bit with a beautiful song called Le Bleu, which Debbie sings mostly in French!

In short, if you have ever been a Blondie fan, you will want this album for sure!  Even though only three of the original band members remain (these being drummer Clem Burke, guitarist Chris Stein, and singer Deborah Harry) this is still a true Blondie record in every sense!  Once you have heard it, I guarantee you will find it well worth your time and money!  This one gets five stars in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment